‘Prahran High School project stalls with new government’
by Mia Oehlmann
26 March 2015
SINCE Labor won the state election in December, a much fought for plan for a new public high school in Prahran by the preceding Member Mr Clem Newton-Brown has come to a halt.
New Member for Prahran Sam Hibbins said today there is much uncertainty regarding the project location, time-line or even if it will happen at all.
“Despite the lack of a public commitment from the State Government, I remain hopeful the new school will go ahead,” Mr Hibbins said.
Dominique Hunter, a local resident with primary school aged children said the new high school would mean they would not need to lose their community and diversity in the neighbourhood.
“Our kids have already lost so many friends because their parents felt they were unable to grow their families in Prahran”, Ms Hunter said.
Mr Hibbins raised the issue with the Minister for Education Mr James Merlino in Parliament in February, which lapsed on March 19 without reply.
Mr Hibbins said a request had been made for a Point of Order with the Speaker of the House to follow it up with the Minister.
The Minister for Education was unavailable for comment.
For more information contact local interest group State High School for Prahran www.shsforprahran.com.au.